Thursday, February 16, 2012

UI Mockup Software

Writing software is not the hard part, its understanding what the users want.  You can build great software, but if its not what the users want, you cannot turn your hard work into success. One method I find works well is creating screen mock ups.

I have tried many tools to do GUI mock ups.  Many of them tend to be two complex. I have tried Microsoft Sketch flow, Power Point, Photo Shop.  To me they were all to complex.  I was looking for a tool that I could use quickly.  My goal was not to make it look like the real thing. But to make sure I was building what the users want.  I so far have found two different tools I love for doing wire frame mock ups.

Balsomiq
The first tool I fell in love with was Balsamiq http://www.balsamiq.com/.  This was super easy to use and kept users out of worrying what type of font they wanted. The only problem is the freeware stuff is online only and you cannot save.   If you have the money this is all you need.

Pencil Project
The Other tool that I use is Pencil.  http://pencil.evolus.vn/en-US/Home.aspx  This works great and is free.  You can run it through fire fox or install it on your pc.  I usually use chrome and dont have firefox installed so I opted for the installed version.


No comments:

Post a Comment