Friday, February 24, 2012

Visual Studio Themes

I spend up to 40 hours per week staring at visual studio. Visual studio is the best IDE for development in the industry.  However, there is always room for improvement.  And I am always looking for ways to be that lazy coder and make things easier and faster.  

One simple tool I use to accomplish this is to change my visual studio themes.  Its really easy to change and saves eye strain, and just is a way to personalize my Visual Studio experience.  

Of course you can always create your own themes, but being lazy I would rather have some one else create them for me.  And of course I don't really want to pay for them either.  Luckily someone has put together an cool site where users can upload and share there visual studio themes.  

When you download your themes you can make your life easy by putting them in the folder
C:\Users\[your user name goes here]\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Settings

The site is simple, and easy to find your favorite Visual Studio theme.  I personal favorite is humane studio.  http://studiostyl.es/schemes/humane-studio


To install your downloaded theme in visual studio 
1. From the tools menu in visual studio select import and export settings
2. Import selected environment settings
3. Click next

4. you can choose to backup settings here, I usually don't


5. Click on browse to choose your settings

 6. pick your downloaded theme

7. Finish and your visual studio experience is customized.


No comments:

Post a Comment